(District No. 66)On April 5, 1923 a frame schoolhouse located nearby was destroyed by a storm. Within two weeks the General Assemble appropriated $5,000 to construct a new school. Although the amount proved to be inadequate, P.S. duPont, through the Delaware School Auxiliary Association, provided the balance necessary to complete the project. On October 27, 1923 the State of Delaware purchased three acres on this site to build the new brick on-room structure. Construction began shortly thereafter. In 1949 the school was closed and the district was consolidated with the Smyrna School District. On April 21, 1950 the Taylor's Bridge Community Center, Inc. purchased the property for one dollar and transformed the structure into a community center.
|Placed By||Delaware Public Archives|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 2:53am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 449321 N 4361940|
|Decimal Degrees||39.40548333, -75.58863333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 24.329', W 75° 35.318'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 24' 19.74" N, 75° 35' 19.08" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 121 Fleming Landing Rd, Townsend DE 19734, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.