The old Bank of Darien, in its day the strongest Bank South of Philadelphia, was organized in 1818 with a Capital Stock of $1,000,000. The first Directors on the part of the State were: Thomas Spalding, Scott Cray, John McIntosh, James Troup, James Dunwoody; for the Stockholders: Calvin Baker, Barrington King, John Kell, Henry Hartford, Jonathan Sawyer.
With Branches in Savannah, Macon, Milledgeville, Marion, Dahlonega, Aruria and Augusta, the Bank of Darien was a powerful force in Agricultural and Commercial activities in Georgia. It also financed the gold fields of North Georgia and North Carolina.
An important factor in the economy of the South, the Bank was at one time the depository for $1,400,000 in Federal Revenues. The Bank of Darien became deeply involved in politics and during the latter years of its operation was the center of bitter controversy. Its charter was terminated by the State Legislature in 1841.