Bulloch County was created by Act. of Feb. 8, 1776 from Bryan and Screven Counties. Originally, it contained part of Evans, Candler, Emanuel and Jenkins Counties. It was named for Archibald Bulloch (1730-1777), Revolutionary leader, elected Pres. of the Executive Council of Georgia, Jan. 20, 1776. He was first Provisional Governor of Georgia, Jan. 22, 1776 until his death, Feb. 22, 1777. First County officers, commissioned March 25, 1796, were: Charles McCall, Jr., Sheriff; Andrew E. Wells, Clerk Sup. Ct.; George Elliott, Clerk Inf. Ct.; Francis Wells, Register of Probate; James Bird, Surveyor; Garrott Williams, Coroner.