Fort Eustis is named for a native Virginian, Gen. Abraham Eustis (1786 - 1843), a commander of Fort Monroe. In March 1918, the U.S. government established Camp Abraham Eustis as a coast artillery training center; it was designated a fort in 1923. It then served as a Federal Emergency Relief Administration transient camp during the Great Depression, an antiaircraft artillery training center, a prisoner of war camp during World War II, and the headquarters for the U.S. Army Transportation Corps. It later housed the Transportation Corps Regiment. The colonial-era Matthew Jones House and the remains of Fort Crawford, a Civil War site, survive on the post grounds.