In 1772, Thomas Clarke, a Quaker farmer purchased 200 acres of land from his brother William. The land, then part of West Windsor, had been in the Clarke family since 1696. Thomas replaced an existing structure with the main house that stands today. He lived here with at least two of his sisters, Hannah and Sarah, until his death in 1802. Sarah inherited and remained in the house until her death in 1840. Her nephew, John H. Clarke, enlarged the east wing which included a new kitchen. The house was sold in 1863 to Henry E. Hale and again in 1944 to Blackwell Smith. The State of New Jersey purchased the property in 1946, and established the Clarke House Museum in 1976.
Following the Battle of Princeton, the Clarke House served as a field hospital for wounded soldiers from both armies. Among those taken to the house was brigadier General Hugh Mercer, suffering from seven bayonet wounds. American and british doctors, including Dr. Benjamin Rush, cared for these wounded. Mercer died in the house nine days later tended by Major George Lewis, General Washington's nephew.
Created by Chris Wang BSA Troop 88, Princeton, NJ - 1998