First settled in 1827, Richland was named for the home district of several pioneer families from South Carolina. The community became a busy railroad junction when the Savannah. Americus and Montgomery, and the Columbus Southern rail lines met here in 1889. Richland was incorporated in 1890. By 1913, the city had 3 banks, 3 hotels, 25 stores, guano factory, cotton seed oil mill, Coca Cola bottling plant and other enterprises. The older part of the city is a historic district listed in the National Register of Historic Places as significant in areas of the city planning, transportation, architecture and social history.