On this site May 8, 1845
The Southern Baptist Convention
by 327 delegates from the states of
Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Louisana, Kentucky and District of Columbia.
The following officers were elected:
Rev. Wm. B. Johnson of Edgefield S.C. President
Talson Lumpton, Ga J.B. Taylor, Va.
Jesse Hartwell, Ala. James C. Crane, Va.
The Rev. W.T. Brantey, Sr. was Pastor of the Church
This tablet was presented at the Centennial of the Convention
First Baptist Church Begun March 25,1817, under the leadership ofJesse Green as "the Baptist Preying Society ofAugusta." Constituted May 1817 at Richmond CountyCourthouse. Wm. T. Brantly, Sr., was first pastorholding first services in Chapel of RichmondAcademy which he headed. Lot purchasedcorner of Green and Jackson Streets; firstbuilding dedicated May 6,1821; remodeled 1847, and razed in 1899 for new building on samesite, 1902. Congregation moved to Walton Wayat Jackson Rd: New building dedicated 1983.The tablet above was attached to the 1902 building
[Marker Reverse]: Southern Baptist ConventionOrganized at this site, May 8-12,1845. TheSouthern Baptist Convention began with 4,126affiliated churches which reported 351,951members by 1963. The Convention had expandedinto all 50 states, the largest non-Catholicdenomination in the United States. TheConvention's 36,531 affiliated churches in 1983reported 14,185,451 members, 394,606 Baptisms.7,815,443 enrolled in Sunday School,$3,165,237,965 total gifts including$529,283,289 to missions beginning with twomission boards (home and foreign). The Convention now conducts its worldwideMinistry of Missions, Education, Evangelismand Service through 20 National Agencies.
Erected in 1984 by
Exective Committee, SBC
Historical Commission, SBC
First Baptist Church, Augusta