The State University of New Jersey
Queen's College (now Rutgers University) opened for instruction in 1771 in a tavern known as "the Sign of the Red Lion" on the corner of Neilson and Albany Streets. Removed from New Brunswick to North Branch and Millstone during the American Revolution, the College returned in 1781 and ten years later took up residence in College hall located on the south side of George Street, near the present Monument Square. In 1807 the trustees acquired land from the heirs of James Parker, distinguished citizen of Perth Amboy and member of the Provincial Congress in New Jersey. This five-acre site, increased by the purchase of an additional acre, formed the Queen's College campus, and continued to grow with the construction of Old Queen's (1809), Van Nest Hall (1847), the President's House (1841-1954), Schanck Observatory (1866), Geology Hall (1872), Kirkpatrick Chapel (1873), and Winants Hall (1890). In 1825, the trustees changed the name of the institution to Rutgers, honoring the distinguished Revolutionary War officer, former trustee, devoted member of the Reformed Church, and benefactor, Colonel Henry Rutgers.
New Jersey Register of Historic Places
January 29, 1973
National Register of Historic Places
July 2, 1973