Montpelier Institute, founded in 1842 by Stephen Elliott, Jr., First Episcopal Bishop of the diocese of Georgia, was Georgia`s second oldest school for girls. Col. G.B. Lamar gave the land for the school including Montpelier Springs, long noted as a health resort. Operated until 1856 as a Female Institute with students from several states and prominent teachers, its cutural influence was felt for many years. For 20 years, until 1876, Montpelier was a private school. When that school closed the property was acquired by the Hart family of Macon.