Near this site, in the early morning hours of December 26, 1776, General George Washington divided his Continental Army of 2,400 men for a two-pronged, surprise attack on the Hessian garrison in Trenton. One column under the command of General Nathanael Greene, approached the city from the northwest by way of Pennington Road. The other column, led by General John Sullivan, marched down the Old River Road (Grand Avenue - Sullivan Way) and entered Trenton from the southwest. This brilliant strategy resulted in a major military victory and became the turning point of the American Revolutionary War. Washington's resolve to take Trenton was a triumph!