Organized by the Rev. Washington McKnight, rector of Richmond Academy, in 1804. Met at first at site of St. Paul`s Church, incorporated by the Georgia General Assembly and given a lot on the common by Richmond Academy Trustees. Cornerstone of the present church laid July 4, 1809. Building dedicated May 17, 1812. Spire added in 1818. An outstanding pastor was the Rev. Joseph R. Wilson, 1858-1870, father of Woodrow Wilson.
December 4, 1861, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States was organized here.
In the Confederate War the church and grounds were used as part of a military hospital and temporary detention camp for prisoners of war.
The building was renovated in 1892. The Telfair building was added in 1881 for Sunday School. New Sunday school addition made in 1951.