This 18th Century stone dwelling is the only surviving house associated with the Colonial Wrightsboro Settlement (1768). Its builder, Thomas Ansley, used weathered granite, quarried in its natural form from the nearby geographical fall line, as building material. The granite, along with pine timbers and cypress shingles, gave the house a distinctive Ga. Character.
The architectural style of the Rock House is similar to stone houses in the Delaware Valley of New Jersey from which Ansley migrated. It is the earliest dwelling in Georgia with its original architectural form intact.
Ownership of the Rock House passed to Nicolas C. Bacon in the 1840s and in the 1850s to the Johnson family, who maintained it as a working plantation until the 20th Century. The Johnson heirs, Effie Johnson Usry and Mary Ruth Johnson McNeil gave the house to the Wrightsboro Quaker Community Foundation, Inc. in 1966, who restored the house in 1981.