. . . for the purpose of obtaining instruction in the science of architecture and assisting such of their members as should by accident be in need of support, or the widows and minor children of members . . .
By-laws of the Carpenters' Company
Carpenters' Hall, completed in 1774, was the meeting place of a group of Philadelphia master builders known as the Carpenters' Company. The Carpenters banded together to establish architectural standards, to set prices for work, and to aid members' families in times of need.
A visitor to Philadelphia in the 1700s would have seen many buildings designed and constructed by members of the Carpenters' Company, including the Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall), Old City Hall, The Pennsylvania Hospital, Benjamin Franklin's mansion, and their own Carpenters' Hall.
The Carpenters aided the leaders of the American Revolution by offering them the use of Carpenters' Hall. It was here that the First Continental Congress gathered in 1774 to air their grievances against Great Britain.
Carpenters' Hall is a part of Independence National Historical Park, but is still owned and operated by the Carpenters' Company. Visitors are welcome during scheduled hours.