Keowee2? miles west is the site of Keowee built by John Ewing Colhoun as his upcountry seat in 1792. His sister, Mrs. Andrew Pickens, lived nearby at Hopewell. His daughter, Floride, married her cousin, John C. Calhoun, and lived at Fort Hill, 2½ miles south. This estate was inherited by his son, John Ewing, who lived here and made lavish improvements.
John Ewing Colhoun
Lawyer, Planter, Privy Councillor,
State Legislator and U.S. Senator. Born in 1751 in Virginia, he moved to the Long Canes in 1756. He studied and practiced law in Charleston. He served in the militia during the Revolution and was appointed in 1782 as a Commissioner of Forfeited Estates. He died on October 26, 1802 at Keowee and was buried there.