Water-powered sawmill & factory operated in the 1860's by Samuel A. Durand (1822-1891), later on by Frederick A. Williams (1817-1883), whose name long designated the old road leading S.W. and now known, in sections, as Briarcliff and Williams Mill Rds., Fortune and Houston Sts., the latter terminating in downtown Atanta.
Later, J.F. Wallace (1840-1902) succeeded Williams; his name was given to Wallace Station-a former stop on the Seaboard R.R.; also the road S.E. to Emory University where it joins Clifton. Federal 4th Corps troops crossed S. Fork Peachtree Cr. at Durand's Mill July 20, 1864 during their advance upon Atlanta.