William Mckinley Walthour, Sr. founded the Union Brotherhood Society or "The Society" in March 1932 to help provide for a proper burial of Negro citizens. During this period of segregation and Jim Crow Laws, Negroes were uninsured and had to use homemade pine boxes to bury their loved ones. The organization collected dues of ten and twenty-five centsmonthly from its members; enabling them to have death and health benefits. The Society with 34 members still exists in 2006 with death benefits of $140.00 and sickness benefits of $10.00.
At funerals, the Society members dressed in black and white, wore badges and greeted each other as Brother and Sister.Anniversary celebrations, known as the "Society
( Rear Text )
Turning Out," had a worship program followed by fellowship, fun and games.
The founding members were: William Walthour, Sr., FrankBaker, Willie Stevens, Joe Bowers, Wilhelmina Walthour,Beatrice Bowers, Gus Williams, Priscilla Maxwell, Rosa Bell Roberts, Ben Maxwell, Sarah Jane Walthour, Joe Walthour, George Walthour, Sr., William Brown, Rev. R.W. Monroe and Janie Stevens.
Less than an acre of land was purchased and a buildingstructure similar to an old T-shaped church, was built by The Society members for their meetings and gatherings at this location in 1932. This monument is a tribute to their unity, vision and community concern.