Architect Benjamin Latrobe came to "Montgomery Court House" in 1811 hoping that the fresh air would help his ailing young son recover his health. He stayed at Adam Robb's tavern that may have been located on Lot 4 on Jefferson Street across from the Court House lot. Its precise location is unknown. His drawing is the earliest known view of Rockville.
Early 19th century Rockville had rutted dirt roads shared with pigs and livestock in 1811. This drawing shows a pig at the steps of the house across the street and a covered wagon on the cross street down the block. Small log or frame houses predominated. They were built anywhere on the lot that the owner chose because there were no zoning regulations. Note that the houses had glass windows, which showed that it was close to civilization. There were no sidewalks, streetlights, or storm drainage. Offensive odors often came from manure piles, pig pens, unclean privies, and slops thrown in the street. Since drinking water generally came from a well by the house, basic sanitation and disease were constant problems.
Like other towns, Rockville incorporated to collect taxes and provide the amenities and comforts that citizens needed and wanted. Rockville incorporated in 1860 to build sidewalks and respond to citizen needs.