"None of the Lighthouses ... are Safe"On May 19, 1864 Confederates raided St. Clement's Island to destroy the 1851 lighthouse. Capt. John Goldsmith, a county residence who had once owned the island, led the attack, having joined the Confederate army in Virginia. In a thirty-foot sailboat, Swann, Goldsmith slipped past a United States gunboat anchored nearby and landed on the island intending to blow up the lighthouse. Keeper Jerome McWilliams, a former neighbor, knew Goldsmith and persuaded him that it would be dangerous to McWilliams pregnant wife to move her from the keeper's dwelling adjacent to the lighthouse. Goldsmith gallantly abandoned that part of his plan and contented himself with destroying the lens and lamp and making off with the oild and light tender.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland Civil War Trails series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 2:52pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 346776 N 4232185|
|Decimal Degrees||38.22461667, -76.75048333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 13.477', W 76° 45.029'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 13' 28.62" N, 76° 45' 1.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 47414 Old State House Rd, Coltons Point MD 20626, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.