Typical of old country stores at the turn of the century. Opened in 1898. Over its counter and from its shed, the Monteverde Family offered for sale all manner and description of merchandise. The emporium served as a meeting place for housewives, supplied audience for aspiring politicians and provided children with turns at penny candy counter. Rose Monteverde, last of the store's owners, closed the doors in 1971. Title to building given to the city by will with wish to preserve early history of Sutter Creek. Opened to public as a museum, June 1992.
Dedicated September 6, 1992 by the Native Sons of the Golden West, Harly M. Harty, Grand President
Funded by the James D. Phelan Trust