— The Battle of Fredericksburg —In December 1862 Confederate artillery on this hill rained shot and shell on attacking Union soldiers advancing out of Fredericksburg. Next to the guns was a small brick building, one of three that then occupied this part of the heights. "The little brick house, which was white at the beginning of the battle, was perfectly red with bullet-marks at its close," wrote one Confederate. "There was an odd cooking-stove in front of the house. The balls striking it kept up a perpetual 'bing, bing,' equalling the varied notes of a hand-organ."
|Placed By||Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park - National Park Service - U.S. Dept. of the Interior|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 20th, 2014 at 4:17pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 284130 N 4241386|
|Decimal Degrees||38.29461667, -77.46845000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 17.677', W 77° 28.107'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 17' 40.62" N, 77° 28' 6.42" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 500-540 Willis St, Fredericksburg VA 22401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.