Boiling Springs Academy was founded by the Boiling Springs Academical Society in 1823, with trustees Hansford Duncan, John Fowke, James Furse, William Gillette, Gideon Hagood, Frederick Hay, Lawrence Hext, James Higginbottom, Jennings O'Bannon, and Angus Patterson. The academy building, along with its records, was burned by Federal troops in February 1865.
The academy was reopened, and the present one-room school building constructed, in 1908, largely through the efforts of Boiling Springs teacher Olive Hay. Students from grades one through seven attended the academy until it closed in 1947. The academy, which was purchased by Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church in 1969, now serves as a community center.