Built in 1876 at the height of the quicksilver mining boom, the Lower Lake stone jail was a response to rapid town growth and the urgent need for civil order. Stephen Nicolai, one of the first stone masons in Lower Lake, built the jail from local materials along with the help of Theodore and John Copsey. The jail is one of the smallest in the United States.
California Registered Landmark No. 429
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the ancient and honorable order of E Clampus Vitus, Yerba Buena Chapter No. 1, October 2, 1982.
[On the reverse side of this monument is marker (see picture 2, below) that reads]:
Theodore and John Copsey commemorated the completion of the jail by overcelebrating, thus becoming the jail's first occupants. Rumor has it that they were also the first escapees - as they had failed to bolt down the roof. ECV October, 1982.