One-half mile southeast of this location is Ellerslie, which was built in 1814 by French Hugenot Col. John Jett and his wife Hannah Calvert for their son James Jett, Jr., on a 1,000-acre tract. In 1749, George Washington named Jett Street in the town of Washington, Virginia, for the family. In 1862, some of Union Maj. Gen. John Pope's forces occupied Ellerslie before the Second Battle of Manassas. After the Civil War, Ellerslie fell into disrepair and the property was divided. In 1926, its century-old English boxwoods were moved to the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., to grace the Bishop's Garden. Ellerslie was destroyed by fire in 1933.