Built by Jacobus Rutan, a farmer, on 32 acres of land about 1794-95. In 1800 his widow and son sold the house to Cornelius H. Zabriskie, a blacksmith and farmer. In 1856 he deeded the house to his grandson, Cornelius Zabriskie Terhune, also a farmer. The property was sold in 1869 to Rebecca S. Bidwell, wife of John A. Bidwell who farmed the land. They remodeled the house, including a new roof in the French mansard style, popular at the time.
Sponsored by Robert H. and Ann H. Oppenheimer, 1996
In State and National Registers of Historic Places