1795 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 1927350 feet west of this spot, Zalmon Disbrow, in 1795 first began clearing the forest on what was later the Dr. Gardner Welles Farm, military lot 97. Sept, 30, 1796 the first stage left Utica for Geneva, passing here Oct. 2. The War of 1812 gave impetus to the erection of taverns along this Albany to Buffalo Road, Rikers Tavern standing on the hill obliquely opposite. Mail was scheduled, Utica to Geneva in 16 hours, during open season. June 8, 1825 General Lafayette passes here enroute to Boston, there laying the corner stone of Bunker Hill Monument June 17. Waterloo developed flour mills shipping as high as 100 barrels of flour per load to Tidewater, Albany. Adjoining this place on the east, Seneca Patchen, the famous trotter was foaled. Here also Joseph Wright, first raised northern tobacco, employing among others Henry Douglas, or "Pompey Smash," a giant Negro born in slavery at Rose Hill, Seneca county, N.Y. The course of Black Brook was changed from foot of this hill to its present location in 1863 by Frederick C. Brehm, Highway Commissioner. The present road was built in 1927 by Cleveland & Son Co. of Brockport, N.Y.
Herman Fredk. Brehm