A Birthplace of DemocracyThe Courthouse Yard was a central part of landowner Jonathan Hampton's Town Plot in 1762. It was used for political meetings, corporal punishment, militia trainings, public entertainments, and a common pasture. Until 1858 voters in township elections indicated their choice by moving either up or downhill on the Green for a head count.
|Series||This marker is part of the New Jersey: Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders series|
|Placed By||Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 7:28am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 520795 N 4545236|
|Decimal Degrees||41.05810000, -74.75251667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 3.486', W 74° 45.151'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 3' 29.16" N, 74° 45' 9.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||201, 973, 908, 862|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 83-107 NJ-94, Newton NJ 07860, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.