— Reedy River Historic Park —Greenville's first post-bellum textile mill was founded by Massachusetts mill owners George Hall, George Putnam, and O.H. Sampson, who came south to start a textile business after a disasterous fire in Boston. In cooperation with Vardry McBee's heirs, Alexander and Vardry A. McBee, Hall and Simpson opened the water-powered Camperdown Mill (named for the Camperdown elms on the property) in 1876. The mill produced yarn and gingham fabric until 1956, when the Citizens and Southern National Bank built a regional headquarters on the site. It is now the site of Bowater, Inc's American headquarters. Stone retaining walls of the old mill and the anchor points of its dam are still visible above the falls.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 13th, 2014 at 11:07am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 371955 N 3856731|
|Decimal Degrees||34.84485000, -82.40051667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 50.691', W 82° 24.031'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 50' 41.46" N, 82° 24' 1.86" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||803, 864|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 201-281 Liberty Bridge, Greenville SC 29601, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|