Six miles south, near Alma, stands Fort Philip Long, a small Germanic stone dwelling with a massive end chimney. Constructed on the edge of a bank, the house is unusual in having two cellar levels, one below the other. A tunnel leads from the lower level to a well located a hundred yards away. The date of construction is not known, but it likely was built late in the 18th century for Philip Long II, grandson of Philip Long who settled the tract in 1737. According to local tradition, the house was built as a fort for protection against Indian attacks.