1831 - 1891A native of England, John Edwards Jr. settled in this area in 1859 to assume operation of his father's sawmill, the nucleus around which the village of Port Edwards developed. Founded in 1840, the Edwards Sawmill was incorporated in 1890 into the John Edwards Manufacturing Company, parent company of Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Company. The office building for the company, built in 1872, stood near this site, and although enlarged several times, served as the home office of Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Company until 1961.
|Series||This marker is part of the Markers Attached to Sculpture series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 9:52pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 272105 N 4913560|
|Decimal Degrees||44.33953333, -89.85881667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 20.372', W 89° 51.529'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 20' 22.32" N, 89° 51' 31.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 201-299 Old Wisconsin 73, Port Edwards WI 54469, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.