(Front Text )
This church was organized in 1851 by Revs.Lewis Parker and John Hoover, with twelvecharter members and Rev. Hoover as its first minister. The congregation has worshipped on this site, on land donatedby Mathias Mathis, since it was organized.It first met under a brush arbor, then in alog church built in 1852. The secondsanctuary here, a frame church, was builtin 1887.
( Reverse Text )
The present sanctuary here, built in 1949,is attached to the 1887 church; it wasremodeled in 1984 and again in 1991.Four members later became Southern Baptist ministers: Revs. W.E. Weekley,W.H. Dowling, G.D. Kinard and W.E. Brant.Pastors with the longest tenures at Bethelwere Revs. John Hoover ( 1851 ~ 68 ) andL.S. Shealy ( 1917 ~ 20 and 1934 ~ 47 ).