The North-South Streets in The City Of ColumbiaThe north-south streets, laid out in the two mile square of the orininal city of Columbia in 1786, were named (except for Assembly) for generals and officers who fought in the American Revolution. Most of these werenative Americans, but one was the Polish Count Pulaski.
Richardson StreetColumbia's chief business street, Main, was first named Richardson Street, for Richard Richardson (1704-1780). This Virginia native settled in present Clarendon County; served in the "Snow Campaign" of 1775; was commissioned Brigadier General in 1778; was a member of the Commons House of Assembly, the First and Second Provincial Congresses, and First General Assembly. Six S.C. Governors are amoung his descendants.