May 5-6, 1864. The bluecoats of Crawford's Division emerged into the sunlight of this clearing, the Chewning Farm, on May 5 in the predetermined moved toward Parker's Store on the Orange Plank Road. Lee's eastward thrust, however, changed all Union plans, and Crawford was withdrawn to the Turnpike sector. While Ewell's Corps on the Pike and A.P. Hill's on the Plank Road parried the powerful Federal army, the Chewning Farm remained a vulnerable gap between the two battle fronts, presenting an opportunity which the Federals failed to exploit. A.P. Hill's Corps completely close the gap on May 6.