←—?A lighthouse on Tybee was one of the first public structures in Georgia. Completed in 1736 by William Blithman of cedar piles and brickwork, its 90 foot height made it the loftiest in America. Destroyed in a storm, it was replaced by another built by Thomas Sumner in 1742 which Oglethorpe called "much the best Building of that kind in America." It was almost entirely rebuilt in 1757 by Cornelius McCarty and James Weyms. In 1773 John Mulryne built the third lighthouse on a third site. The Mulryne lighthouse forms the base of the present structure, making part of it of Colonial construction. In 1791 Georgia ceded it with 5 acres to the Federal government. Partially destroyed by the Irish Jasper Greens of Savannah during Union occupation of the island, it was repaired and today is one of the famous lighthouses on the Eastern seaboard.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 6:04am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 514670 N 3542908|
|Decimal Degrees||32.02221667, -80.84465000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 1.333', W 80° 50.679'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 1' 19.98" N, 80° 50' 40.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 30 Meddin Dr, Tybee Island GA 31328, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.