Ewell's Division, Jackson's Command.
Brigadier General A.R. Lawton,
(September 15-16, 1862.)
Ewell's Division left Harper's Ferry on the night of September 15th, crossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford and reached Sharpsburg on the morning of the 16th, and, late in the day moved to position in support of Jackson's Division in the West Woods, Early's Brigade on the left with Hay's Brigade in support and Lawton's and Trimble's Brigades in the woods west and north west of the Dunkard Church. About 10 p.m., Lawton's and Trimble's Brigades advanced and relieved Hood's Division near the south edge of Miller's Cornfield and in Mumma's field south of the Smoketown Road.