(Barker's Mill side of marker):
Barker's Mill, which stood here on Jackson Branch, was a grist millowned by William Ransome Barker(1816-1869), a planter in what wasthen Barnwell District. Barker movedto this are in the 1850s,built a houseabout 2 mi. N. and establisheda cotton plantation of 2,000~3,000acres which he named "Sycamore."The town of Sycamore, chartered in1891, was named for the plantation.
(Skirmish at Barker's Mill side of marker):
On February 2, 1865, as Gen. W.T.Sherman's Federals advanced towardColumbia, units of Gen.F.P. Blair'sXVII Corps clashed with the Confederatecavalry at the bridge over JacksonBranch.The Confederates retreatedover the bridge, but the Federalsdid not cross until reinforced afterdark. A Confederate withdrawal thenopened the way for a Federal advanceto Buford's and Rivers Bridge.