Brig. Gen. Alfred Pleasanton, Commanding.
(September 17, 1862.)
The Cavalry Division was stationed along the west bank of Antietam Creek during the Battle of September 17, in support of Horse Batteries A, B, and L (Consolidated) and M, of the Second U.S. Artillery, and Batteries C and G (Consolidated) of the Third Artillery, which were established on the crest of the ridge in front of this point. This division occupied a portion of the ground between the left flank of the Second and the right flank of the Ninth Army Corps, and covered the approaches to the bridge across Antietam Creek. At night the division was withdrawn.