The first academy in Newark was erected near this spot in 1774 by the gifts of generous citizens.
Dedicated to learning, it found, in time of war, a new mission in the cause of liberty, giving useful service as a barracks and hospital for American troops.
On the night of January 25, 1780, it was burned to the ground by a raiding party of British, who crossed from New York on the ice and surprised the town.
This school was the forerunner of the present Newark Academy which erected its first building in 1792 at the corner of Broad and Academy Streets.
Placed by the Trustees, teachers, graduates and students of Newark Academy, June 1916.
Replaced by the Commissioners of the City of Newark, May 1941.