Travelers' Rest Stage Roadhouse constructed 1851. Benjamin Bernhard, native of Hesse-Cassel, Germany, arrived Auburn 1852, purchased surrounding 30 acres 1868. Developed high level vineyard and orchard cultivation and pioneered experimental silkworm production. Some 17,000 vines produced wine and brandy of quality. Stone wine cellar constructed 1874, blacksmith shop 1881. Bernhard died 1902, winery closed 1905. Premises restored by local citizens under direction of Placer Historical Museum Foundation.
Dedicated April 10, 1982 under auspices Auburn No. 59 Native Sons and Auburn No. 233 Native Daughters of the Golden West
Larry E. Mowinckel, Grand President N.S.G.W.