Dauphin County's third and present courthouse since the 1785 creation of the County was completed in 1943 at this, the traditional and most prominent entrance to the City of Harrisburg. It replaced the second Courthouse, erected in 1860, which stood on the northeast corner of Market and Court Streets. The present building, designed by the noted Harrisburg architectural firm of Lawrie and Green in the neo-classic revival interpretation of the Art Deco style, is a monumental edifice representing a temple of justice as the seat of the County Court system. The building's exterior is clad with white Georgia marble while its interior is laden with inscriptions, figurines, icons and carvings in wood, marble and glass tracing important elements to the founding and growth of Dauphin County as well as with symbols of law, justice and wisdom among many others. The main first floor lobby features an enlarged map of Dauphin County, depicting roads, towns and topographic features, which is inlayed in the terrazzo floor. The building is a treasure-trove of rich and unusual woods, a variety of marble and other quality building materials employed in a stylistic fashion making this a highly developed and beautifully executed example of the monolithic public building of its time. Note the stately front fountain and pool above where stands the statute of "Youth Crushing Evil."
The approach to Harrisburg in 1915 from the Market Street Bridge. site of present Courthouse is at right.
1860 view of the southeast corner of Front and Market Streets.
Dauphin County Courthouse in 1944 shortly after completion.