This fine collection of historic Front Street townhouses is the single most important row of homes that can be associated with the lives of early Pennsylvania Governors. The original houses on the block; Federal in style and dating to 1812 were designed by Stephen Hills, architect of the old Pennsylvania Capitol, that was completed in 1822. Two of the original homes at 23 and 27 n. Front Street, survive. The other three, at 17, 21 and 25 N. Front Street, either were replaced or enlarged upon Hill's earlier buildings.
27 N. FRONT STREET - Hill's residence while the old Capitol was constructed. It then became the home of Governor John Andrew Schulze (1823 to 1829). The Marquis de Lafayette was a guest here in 1825. the house was later the residence of Jacob Haldeman, an early Harrisburg industrialist and founder of the Borough of New Cumberland;
25 N. FRONT STREET - erected circa 1878 and was the home of Jacob Haldeman's son and U.S. Congressman, Richard Haldeman;
23 N. FRONT STREET - home of Governor Francis Shunk (1845 to 1848);
21 N. FRONT STREET - originally the residence of Governor William Findlay (1817 to 1823). It was enlarged to its present brownstone facade appearance circa 1865 by Reverend Thomas H. Robinson of the Market Square Presbyterian Church under a plan by architect Joseph C. Hoxie who had also designed the church built several years earlier in 1859.
17 N. FRONT STREET - erected in 1863 by Harrisburg attorney John Hanna Briggs. It later served as the Seiler School between 1908 and 1943, a prominent, private academy. At one time a house stood at 19 N. Front Street, which unified the row. It however was demolished in the late 1960's to provide parking for the subsequent occupant of 17 N. Front Street.
Governor William Findlay (1768 - 1846)
Governor John Andrew Schulze (1775 - 1852)
Governor Francis Rawn Shunk (1788 - 1848)