Tracy Mansion

Tracy Mansion (HM3OO)

Location: Harrisburg, PA 70043 Dauphin County
Country: United States of America

N 40° 16.494', W 76° 53.867'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 527 views
Inscription
The notable Tudor Revival-styled edifice situated at the southeast corner of N. Front and Muench Streets well exemplifies the grand Front Street mansions of the early 20th Century that would rise north of Forster Street. The house was built in 1917 for David E. Tracy (1867-1923) who was one of the founders in the 1890's of the Harrisburg Pipe and Pipe Bending Company and who is memorialized by Tracy Hall at Harrisburg's Bishop McDevitt High School. Although the company's initial business was the repair of refrigerated railroad cars, it expanded into producing cylinders and automotive pistons. By World War I, the firm secured major contracts with the U.S. Government for military parts and by 1935, changed its name to Harrisburg Steel Company, now Harsco, a major international component manufacturer still headquartered in the Harrisburg metropolitan area. Tracy's 30-room mansion was the work of Harrisburg architect Charles Howard Lloyd who was known for designing many Harrisburg schools and Front Street homes. The building was of the highest quality in materials and construction, featuring mural paintings, masonry walls, an iron-cage elevator, and high quality hardwood over concrete floors. In 1951, the property became the Harrisburg Osteopathic Hospital that built an addition to the east, linking the main house to the garage, for extra hospital bed facilities. The Osteopathic relocated after the 1972 Agnes flood threatened demolition of the building for redevelopment activities. Fortunately, the Mansion was saved and stands as a tribute to one of the city's most successful industrialists of the early 20th Century.
Photo
Circa 1920 view of Tracy Mansion prior to the hospital addition that linked house with garage.
Details
HM NumberHM3OO
Series This marker is part of the Pennsylvania: The Harrisburg History Project series
Tags
Placed ByThe Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 6:44pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 338652 N 4459996
Decimal Degrees40.27490000, -76.89778333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 40° 16.494', W 76° 53.867'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds40° 16' 29.64" N, 76° 53' 52.02" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)504
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 2034-2098 Capital Area Greenbelt, Harrisburg PA 70043, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What historical period does the marker represent?
  2. What historical place does the marker represent?
  3. What type of marker is it?
  4. What class is the marker?
  5. What style is the marker?
  6. Does the marker have a number?
  7. What year was the marker erected?
  8. This marker could use another picture or two.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?