Circa 1822The significance of this structure lies both in its history and architecture. It is one of the few remaining "toll houses" along the old National Road. The National Road was chartered between Hancock and Cumberland in 1819 and completed in 1822, following an 18th century trail. A deed dated March 29, 1820, from Thomas C. Brent to the President, Managers and Company of the Cumberland Turnpike, records the purchase of ½ acre of land for $50.00 and refers to a "brick toll house lately erected within the boundaries above described." The ½ acre of land came from a tract called "Brent's Chance" which contained 406 acres originally surveyed to Thomas Brent on March 31, 1793. The deed evidence indicates that the toll house was built around the same time as the turnpike and therefore was used to collect tolls since the opening of the National Pike. When the State acquired title to this road, which was popularly known as the "Bank Road," the description states "a strip of land 60 feet wide from he west bank of the Concheague to Cumberland." The property was sold to John and Iva Shives.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the The Historic National Road series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, October 15th, 2014 at 4:55am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 739856 N 4398056|
|Decimal Degrees||39.69868333, -78.20251667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 41.921', W 78° 12.151'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 41' 55.26" N, 78° 12' 9.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||301, 240|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5198-5298 MD-144, Hancock MD 21750, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|