Medina County was organized in 1848 with Castroville as the county seat. In 1892, as the result of an election, the seat of county administration was relocated to Hondo City (now Hondo). The Commissioners Court immediately ordered a courthouse to be built at the new county seat.
During the administration of County Judge B. Brucks, a building contract was let to the construction firm of Martin, Byrne and Johnson. Limestone with a slightly yellowish cast was secured about six miles north of town from the ranch of Joe Decker. Completed in 1893, the new courthouse provided office space for the County Judge, tax assessor, treasurer, attorney, county and district clerk, and featured a large district courtroom on the second floor.
Between 1939 and 1942, changes to the courthouse were made, including the addition of two two-story wings. Stone for the new wings was secured again from limestone deposits on the Decker Ranch.
The classical revival courthouse exhibits some influences of the Italianate style. Prominent features include the rusticated stone walls, classical portico over the entryway, a broken triangular pediment, and stone hood molds with incised eastlake designs.