Army of Northern Virginia
General Robert E. Lee, Commanding
September 17, 1862.
General Longstreet's Command, including D.H. Hill's Division of Jackson's Command, temporarily attached, occupied the right and center of the Confederate line, extending from the Antietam Creek South of Sharpsburg, in a northernly direction to Mumma's House.
General Jackson's Command occupied the left of the line extending from Mumma's House to the Hagerstown Pike, north of the Dunkard Church thence through the West Woods to the open fields south of Nicodemus' House.
General Stuart's Cavalry Division covered the extreme left of the Army, extending from Jackson's left westerly to the Potomac River.