In 1880 Reverend-Doctor Harlan P. Carson, Synodical Missionary for Dakota Territory, arrived from Illinois. In 1886 he established Scotland Academy for pioneering settlers in Bon Homme and surrounding counties to support the two Christian crusades of the Presbyterian Church. The Academy occupied the entire 200 block fronting Fourth Street and consisted of the Academy School, dormitory and boarding hall, coalhouse, and out-house. The houses at 211 and 221 housed ministers and staff. The staff of four provided four courses of study: Classical Curriculum for college or university matriculation, Business Course for clerical or business employment, Teachers Course for primary teachers, and Music Course for full and part-time enrollees. All studies included Christianity and conversion. Enrollment ranged from 12 to 65 students: support was provided by tuition and donations from Eastern Presbyterian benefactors. Construction of free public high schools and severe financial problems closed the Academy on June 11, 1898, and it merged with Pierre University into Huron College and Academy. The campus was sold and used as a hospital and as J. McAthie's pop factory: in 1915 it reopened for a few years at the Dutch Reformed Academy. Many still know this area of town as Presbyterian Hill.