Open to the Public ~~~
Created under the Will of Miss Mary Telfair (c. 1789-1875), the Telfair Academy of Arts & Sciences opened as the first public art museum in the Southeast with a preliminary private showing February 12, 1885.
After extensive remodeling and additions, with Detlef Lienau of New York as architect, the building was formally dedicated May 3, 1886. Among the prominent persons who attended the dedication were: Jefferson Davis and his daughter, Winnie Davis; Charles C. Jones, historian; General A.R. Lawton; General Henry R. Jackson; General G. Moxley Sorrel; Col. John Screven and Col. Charles Olmstead.
Carl L. Brandt, N.A., served as Telfair's first Director, 1883-1905.