Market Station's Log House, built in 1840 in Rectorstown, Maryland, is made entirely of native American chestnut. Upon its completion, the German builders covered the logs with clapboard and plaster. These protective refinements, usually reserved as additions for the later, more prosperous years, have helped preserve the condition of the logs over the past century and a half.
The owners eventually added a stone wing and a frame wing as the farm around the house grew to include corn sheds, hay barns, livery stables and a smoke house.
The house was occupied until 1978, when it was disassembled and its logs numbered, diagrammed for reassembly, and stored in Frederick, Maryland.
The house has been reconstructed at Market Station and reflects a typical log home of the region.