Defending the CapitalFort C.F. Smith was constructed in early 1863 as part of the expansion and strengthening of the capital's defenses that continued throughout the Civil War. With Forts Strong, Morton and Woodbury, Fort C.F. Smith formed the outer perimeter of the fortifications that protected the Aqueduct Bridge of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (located near the site of the present-day Francis Scott Key Bridge). Fort C.F. Smith was built as a lunette with a southern and western face and two flanks, as well as a cremaillere line on the north side to protect it from attack up the ravines from the river. A road that crossed Spout Run and proceeded up the hill to Fort Strong entered Fort C.F. Smith from the east. To provide clear lines of fire for this and adjacent forts, all of the trees for miles around were cut down, and much of the lumber was used in the construction of the fortifications and support structures.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 318897 N 4307900|
|Decimal Degrees||38.90133333, -77.08845000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 54.08', W 77° 5.307'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 54' 4.80" N, 77° 5' 18.42" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||202, 703|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2239-2317 24th St N, Arlington VA 22207, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.