Organized July 28, 1839. Thirteen original members, one a slave. Used as a Confederate hospital during War Between the States. L. S. Foster, founder of Mississippi Baptist Orphanage, ordained here. General Stephen D. Lee, first president of A. & M. College, now Mississippi State University, served church as deacon. On this site, the original wooden church was completed in 1843. It was replaced in 1889 with a brick building which was renovated and enlarged in 1914 and 1922. Ray Memorial Building erected in 1956. Sanctuary erected in 1962.