1916-1951Following an earlier school on the corner of Justice Street and Ninth Avenue, the Sixth Avenue School opened its doors to area Black American students in 1916. Located on the east side of US 64 and Valley Street, the building was a two story frame structure with classrooms on the first floor and an auditorium on the second floor which served as multiple classrooms as well as a community center. In 1935, a former wooden frame gymnasium was dismantled and moved just north of the Sixth Avenue School to serve as a high school annex. It was the first Ninth Avenue School, dubbed "the Gym." The principals of these schools were Rev. John Wesley Neill, W.M. Robinson, Spencer Durante and John Marable.
|Placed By||Senior Girl Scout Troop 404, 6th & 9th Avenue Alumni Committee and Hendersonville City Council|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 6th, 2019 at 11:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 367294 N 3908992|
|Decimal Degrees||35.31535000, -82.45985000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 18.921', W 82° 27.591'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 18' 55.26" N, 82° 27' 35.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.